Good dentistry often requires a lot of detective work. Dentist can only see a small portion of the crown of a tooth when they look inside your mouth & many diseases of the teeth and surrounding tissues cannot be seen.
An X-ray examination may reveal:
- Small areas of decay between the teeth or below existing fillings.
- Infections in the bone, such as, periodontal (gum) disease; abscesses or cysts; developmental abnormalities; some types of tumors.
- Problems with existing fillings, crowns, posts etc.
Finding and treating dental problems at an early stage can save time, money and unnecessary discomfort. As many of you have already noticed, we have started using a dental electronic X-ray imaging system (DEXIS) in our surgery. The benefits of this system are:
- No extra cost to the patient
- Higher quality images for better diagnoses, digital x-rays produces a finer more accurate image which can be manipulated electronically to show more detail, take measurements etc.
- Less radiation –the use of Digital x-rays reduces radiation by as much as 80%.
- Environmentally friendlier –No chemical, no disposable parts or rubbish, less radiation.
- Quicker –digital x-rays are instant so we can see straight away if we have what we need to make a diagnoses or retake the film in a matter of seconds if adjustments need to be made
- We can transfer the image to the chair monitor so we can explain what we find and you can see exactly what your x-ray shows.
- More comfortable –the sensor has been specially designed so that it is as comfortable as possible (no more sharp corners to cause discomfort)
The current recommendation by the dental association is that x-rays should be taken approximately every 2 years or when necessary to diagnose or treat a dental condition.