- Try to open your jaw against fist pressure for 15 seconds.
- Remove hand support and open smoothly and widely.
- Repeat from beginning 5 times.
- Try to swing your jaw to the left against fist pressure for 15 seconds. Use the left fist against the chin with the forearm parallel to the ground.
- Then swing the jaw smoothly without fist pressure.
- Repeat from the beginning of lateral movement, 5 times.
- Change hands and repeat the above exercise but swinging to the right.
- Exercises above should be done 3 times a day for 3 weeks.
- Expect in the first week that the pain may be worse, and then slowly settle.
- If your jaw is painful whilst doing the exercises apply a hot flannel over the area before and after the exercises.
- If necessary, take two soluble panadol or similar pain killers twenty minutes before commencing the exercises.