1. Bite firmly on a gauze maintaining pressure for 30 minutes.
  2. Remove the pack from your mouth 30 minutes after extraction.
  3. If bleeding persists place a pack of clean linen/gauze (sterile) over bleeding area and bite down firmly maintaining pressure for another 30 minutes and do not lay flat; keep head elevated.
  4. Avoid eating until the numbness has worn off. Avoid hot drinks during this period also.
  5. After the numbness has worn off, you may eat and drink on the other side of your mouth; nothing too hot or too cold. Do not swish food or drink around your mouth.
  6. Do not rinse for 24 hours after extraction Do not dislodge the clot especially in the first 24 hours.
  7. Starting tomorrow (approximately 24 hours after extraction) dissolve ½ tablespoon of salt in a glass of warm water and use for bathing the socket (hold the salty solution in the mouth). Repeat this 4 times a day for 3-5 days, preferably after meals and just before bed.
  8. No Smoking or alcohol for 24 hours.
  9. If Required take Panadol, Panadeine or similar pain relief. Do not use aspirin as this may lead to further bleeding.
  10. If severe pain persists need to contact your dentist.
  11. Clean teeth/Dentures/Gums in usual manner, avoiding the extraction site for the first few days, normal cleaning can be resumed in a week.
  12. If bleeding recommences:
  • Wash with cold water
  • Place a pack of clean linen/gauze (sterile) over bleeding area and bite down firmly
  • Shape to apply pressure on bleeding part. E.g. It needs to small enough to place between the teeth but also large enough to bite down on and to maintain pressure.
  • Maintain firm steady pressure: bitting hard as before for a minimum of 30 minutes
  • Do not lay flat, keep your head elevated
  • If bleeding persists, call your dentist
  • If your dentist is unavailable see your GP or report to your nearest hospital's Accident and Emergency Department and notify your dentist the following day

(Adapted from, "Instructions to patients following oral surgery". Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Unit, University of Adelaide, SA Dental Service and Royal Adelaide Hospital)